Saturday, April 16, 2011

Fwd: WARNING for Pet Owners







 

KEEP THIS GOING EVEN IF YOU DON'T HAVE A PET!
Warning for pet owners

   
  
Please tell every dog or cat owner you know. Even if  you don't have a pet,  please pass this to those who do.
Over the weekend, the doting owner of two young lab mixes  purchased Cocoa Mulch  from Target to use in their garden. The dogs loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to  keep cats away from their garden. Their dog  (Calypso) decided the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping.  She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something  new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way.  The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning  walk. Halfway through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.

Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company's web site,

 
This product is HIGHLY toxic to  dogs  and cats.

Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's,  and they claim that "It is true that studies have shown that 50%  of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog).  However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it."
*Snopes site gives the following information:
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp *

Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other
garden supply  stores contains a  lethal ingredient called 'Theobromine'. It is lethal to dogs and  cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks.

Theobromine is in all chocolate, especially dark or baker's  chocolate which is  toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic  quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline.  A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden  mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.
   
 
**PLEASE  PASS  THIS ON**

















--

No comments:

Post a Comment