Thursday, October 13, 2011

I have fixed this dish for years. Never knew it was called this.I always called it goulash(?). I did prefer to use Rotel tomatoes,but I have used just plain tomatoes and yes,it is very filling and very tasty. Add ground beef,turkey or vinison(?). More filling!!


 
13recipeMacaroniandTomatoesCheese
GORGEA 1930s Depression Era Recipe
Keep three ingredients on hand, and
you'll have everything you need to
get dinner on the table. This Gorge
recipe submitted by R. Hardy couldn't
be easier to make:
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
INGREDIENTS:
•Macaroni
•Stewed tomatoes
•Melted cheese
PREPARATION:
Cook some macaroni; add some stewed
(home-canned) tomatoes and some
grated cheese. Mix it all together, so
that the cheese melts.
R. Hardy says:
I don't know if this goes back further
than the Depression, but my mother's
mother definitely made it during the
Depression. It's the name that I find
interesting, more than the dish: "Gorge."
My grandmother's mother was from
a German immigrant family, but I can't
say what the origins are of this recipe.
I assume the name comes from the fact
that you could gorge yourself on it cheaply.
My mother's family was quite poor.
_


-e
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment